Friday, November 29, 2013

Paragliding in Switzerland!



I wanted to post about my honeymoon trip since October; however, I was thinking about how to break the adventure down to avoid long detailed posts. So in this post I’m gonna write about our memorable day in Interlaken- Switzerland specifically about the adventure we had there. Some of my relatives and friends still don't know about it as I didn’t upload pictures of it before. I went PARAGLIDING on my honeymoon!!!! ( and I didn’t even tell my mom lol )


 I visited this town two years ago and had plans to revisit it again


 so here is goes:

On our first day we had breakfast buffet then headed to the lobby to inquire about the tourists attractions and activities in Interlaken. One of the brochures that caught my attention was the paragliding experience! I’ve seen this sport for the first time in a Korean show and tried to look for it around UAE but couldn’t find one. I asked my husband if we should go for it and even though the nervousness showed all over his face he didn’t gave a real NO back. so I stopped thinking too much and just went with the reservation!

“Be in the lobby at 1pm, the paragliding team will come pick you up” said the receptionist. Therefore, we had a walk around the hotel until it was 12:45pm, it was time to keep calm and wait for the van to come pick us up.

The driver showed up as agreed, we felt like we are on a reality tv show with all the excitement the driver welcomed us with. “ARE YOU READY FOR YOUR ADVENTURE?” said the driver with open arms.

At that moment no we were NOT ready anymore haha! 

We stopped at two hotels to pick more tourists; two Korean girls and another Korean man. The girls kept talking in Korean about how scared and how excited they were while the Korean guy remain silent and just when my husband and I predicted he is scared too, he mentioned that he already tried skydiving in France before coming to Switzerland !! *shocked face*

The team of pilots were so friendly they introduced themselves and the instruction post the flight very well. Every person had the chance to pick his pilot whoever you think you’re comfortable with. I picked a loud lady in belief that her confidence indicates and awareness of what she’s doing. (I prayed all the way up that I made the right choice lol) We had our belongings kept away and our shoes replaced by hiking shoes. We had to drive all the way up the hill for around 15mins then stopped near a green field.  We walked in pairs with our pilots having a little chitchats on the 10 mins walk to the spot of flying.

We reached a sharp edge facing the wind, that’s where they started unpacking their parachutes. My heart was racing. I’ve always been afraid of heights and edges especially were a nightmare for me. We all stood next to each other with like 2 meters away. It was very cold at the top so we were given special jackets. At first we had to demonstrate the run we will do when we attach the parachute, the idea was to never ever jump just run and let the wind do the work. I freaked out at the first trial, my pilot was screaming in enthusiasm while running but the second time with two pilots on each arm I got the courage to do it. I asked her for few minutes to relax before running and just when I was getting ready she pointed her finger saying “LOOK! Your husband already took off!!” what the hell! When did he find the courage to surpass me!!! D:!!

WHY YOU!

There was no turning back although I wanted to do so 10 times by now. The pilot holding by my back screamed: ”NOW! RUNNNN! FASTER  FASTER!!” I did exactly what she said and it was heavier than what I imagined and yelled back: ”I’M RUNNNNNNING!!!” and within a second of pulling we were already in the air.

Thats not our jump, the day was more cloudy but its a picture from the same spot

Among the clouds we started swifting, the town of Interlaken showing behind them. It was so magical, so cold, so flawless that I wanted to engrave it forever in my mind. We took pictures and videos in the air. We took a turn by the mountain, then over the town and finally landing in the park near our hotel. Before landing my pilot asked me if I wanted any more thrilling moves while landing but I had to say no cuz I was already having a light head from the excitement and the cold air.

Funny moment was: all the camera flashes coming from tourists while we landed. I covered my face with my hand. They gave me that feeling of having a glorious moment falling from the sky like heroes, or brave soldiers lol

We were gifted a flash disk with our pictures that had a piece of the parachute material written on it our name, date of jump and our pilot’s name.



We were drunk of joy the rest of the day and gave our moms a call to laugh hard at the scolding and hear how crazy we were. It was worth every euro we spent and my husband kept talking about this jump for days and days. I believe we will repeat it again somewhere new in the future!

Peace,
Amna Al Dhaheri

Say hello to the camera!

3 comments:

  1. That it is so brave of you!
    I'm so proud <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. woaaa,... awesome.. must b v exciting and thrilling.. keeep enjoying ur life... <3 <3 lov u

    ReplyDelete
  3. bravo! loved reading this post n for a moment u took me above Interlaken with u :)
    Stay blessed!

    ReplyDelete